Monday, January 12, 2009

Smart Playlist: Most Played songs in 2008

I love Apple. They simplify everything for me.

Situation: I'm having a hard time uploading songs into the new Nano. If possible, I want everryyything in. So instead of making the decision myself, I am delegating it to iTunes.

Playlist formula: Highest Play Count + Range from 1 January 2008 - 31 December 2008+ Limit to 2000 songs =Songs to be transferred from ye ol iPod to the new one. (only 607 songs came out though)

Et voila. A full iPod to take around.

And speaking of music, in no particular order, here are my favourite singles of 2008:

Chairlift – Bruises
These guys got the big break when El Jobs used them for the new nano-chromatic TVCs. The apple iPod ads are a real jewel in introducing new music (It certainly worked wonders for Feist). Plus I've always had a thing for Indie bands with girl lead singers.)

Feist - Mushaboom (Postal Service Remix)
Okay so this wasn't released in 2008. Ben Gibbard's eclectic remix + Feist's lovely voice, a great combination of jazz+indie rock+bossa nova landed her the top played artist in my iTunes. Mushaboom the original was great but the remix just gave it that extra liveliness and fun to make it great.

On another note; Kudo, she sang La Même Histoire on your Paris Je'taime soundtrack.

Pete and the Pirates - Knots
This band from Reading cuts through the clutter with the KISS formula. Awesome debut album. They remind me of The Kooks , with a bit more distortion & wah-wah built in. Worth a download listen!

Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
Hands down, "Only by the Night" is my favourite album in 2008. I first heard the KOL when they released "Because of the Times." That album was hard to top by they did it somehow w

MGMT - Kids
Dancey. These guys sports one of the best/catchiest riffs in a song ever. They also look like a bunch of treehuggers who hopped in a time machine to play in 2008. What's not to love? (Note: the youtube link featuring the Thundercats/Gene Simmons hybrid is a band endorsed unofficial video)

Other releases I really enjoyed this past year included the Brendan Canning-led Broken Social Scene album, theRacounteurs Raconteurs’ Consolers of the Lonely, and the Dodos’ psychedelic-folk album Visiter. A lot of year-ender lists also rank The ‘59 Sound and Fleet Foxes very high as well, although I never got as into either of them as I was expecting. Still, they’re all worth checking out if you want to get a preview of what other bands will be sounding like in 2009.

Now, please excuse me while I add covers into all in the songs in the Nano. 200-odd songs to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Poo (can I call you Mr. Poo?),
So you finally got your Nano, I see. I'm very much in love with my Shuffle and am looking forward to the day we can both turn into shadows and dance against neon colored backgrounds.
Ms. Shuffle

kudo said...

excellent! music to check out and err... 'obtain'.

yes, tau lah feist nyanyi. it's je t'aime, btw (je-tu-aime=two apposing vowels hence the apostrophe).

Anonymous said...

ah wakarimasta kudo-sama.

haha. sample to your heart's content.